The Institution of Lighting Professionals has arranged a series of events supporting people in the early part of their lighting career. Successful senior lighting designers have agreed to share their time and expertise with students, juniors and new entrants to the profession, to demonstrate things that aren’t always taught on traditional courses and will inspire, support and encourage the next generation.
How To Be Brilliant 2019, sponsored by Zumtobel, is a set of free to attend, fun, friendly evening sessions held in London and Edinburgh. They are open to all, with an emphasis on allowing less experienced students and staff to meet renowned industry experts face to face in a confidence-building atmosphere of encouragement and inclusion. All the sessions include Continuous Professional Development time.
The six London sessions have been revealed as:
- Luke Edwards of Cue Design – Lighting Designer for Gary Numan’s Savage North America tour – is appearing on 27 March
- Linda Salamoun, Senior Lighting Designer at Steensen Varming will be speaking on 24 April
- John Bullock, lighting designer and industry champion from the Light Review, will talk about light and life in relation to Brexit on 22 May
- Arfon Davies, Director, and Nicola Rigoni, Lighting Designer, with Arup will present together at a special daylight, experience and wellbeing session on 19 September, taking place within Darc Room, part of London Design Week
- Neil Knowles, Director and founder of Elektra Lighting Design, will cover circadian lighting on 23 October
- Colin Ball and Lora Kaleva, Senior Lighting Designers at BDP, will close the series on 20 November, with ‘The Colour Blue’
Four Edinburgh sessions are in development, with a similarly eclectic mix of people and topics to be announced imminently.
Registration will open soon
Free to attend, friendly and all welcome!