The ILP is holding a free CPD webinar on Wednesday 3 June at 3pm that will focus on the British Standard for road lighting design. An updated version of BS5489-1 2020 has just been published which includes some significant changes from the previous version. This important update to the Standards means that anyone that specifies public lighting or uses this Standard needs to understand the latest thinking and changes from the previous version.
This CPD webinar is essential for all those specifying or designing lighting for roads, amenity areas or city and town centres. You will learn how to carry out your role more effectively and provide better lighting which benefits the public and the planet.
Our presenters are Nick Smith IEng FILP and Peter Harrison CEng FILP. Nick, from Nick Smith Associates, was the ILP’s representative on the British Standards Institute revision committee, so is the ideal expert to share his knowledge and explain how you can apply this to your work. Peter Harrison is the ILP Technical Director.
We will cover:
- Position of BS5489 in the hierarchy of standards and tie into European and international standards
- Summary of the changes
- Reasons for road lighting
- Environmental considerations: obtrusive light and conservation
- Energy considerations and how this is determined
- Design classification – determination and the risk assessment
- Variable lighting considerations for subsidiary roads and traffic routes
- Maintenance factor determination
- Scotopic/Photopic (S/P) ratios – how these are used now
- Glare, glare metrics and how to use them
You will have the opportunity to ask questions.
Places are free – book now to register.
In addition to this webinar we will be running in depth courses. To go on the waiting list, please email Peter Harrison – email@example.com.