A new and comprehensively updated BS 5489 Part 1 was published on 31 December 2020 and this CPD seminar will inform lighting professionals of the changes in this important document.
The British Standard provides guidance on all aspects of the design of road and public amenity lighting, including passive safety, sustainability, variable lighting, scotopic and photopic ratios and risk assessments. This educational seminar also includes the draft proposals for EN13201, conflict areas and the latest research on mesopic vision and what action lighting professionals must take.
What You Will Learn
1. BRITISH STANDARD
- Introduction to BS5489-1
- Introduction to BS EN 13201 (Draft proposed changes)
- Reasons for road lighting
- Environmental considerations
- Energy considerations
- Design strategy and lighting classification – Risk Assessment
- Variable lighting for subsidiary roads
- Variable lighting for traffic routes
2. WHEN DOES A HIGHWAY BECOME A CONFLICT AREA?
- The purpose of a conflict area
- Determining the lighting class
- What is and is not a conflict area
- Size of a conflict area
- Worked examples of achieving those results using Lighting Reality (questions from the delegates will be encouraged)
3. UNDERSTANDING MESOPIC VISION
- Basic understanding of the CIE photometry
- Awareness of research behind the changes
- Changes from currently dropping a lighting class to dropping the light levels required based on the light source S/P ratio
- What roads/areas it applies to
Where & When
There are no upcoming in-person events at this time, please register your interest for future events by emailing via the contact details on this page.
ILP member: £145 + VAT
Non member: £230 + VAT